Wednesday, May 26, 2010

That Ol’ Gamer A.D.D.

It’s ironic that I’m currently experiencing a deep-seated urge to start up a smaller gaming group to run simultaneously with my regular one on the same day that I wrote about how much fun I was having with the current crop of players. In my defense, I’ve been revisiting Fritz Leiber again and the allure of running a small mixed gender group of players through a city-based “thievery and wits” campaign in the same world is waxing.

If the urge doesn’t pass, I’ll have to take drastic action: Go out and try to set one up.

5 comments:

Hungry said...

I did this once back in my high school days. I had just finished the last of the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser books, bought all of the Lankhmar resources I could get my hands on and ran with them. The group I ran were all multi-classed thief/something with a few straight thieves in the group. It's still one of the best and most memorable campaigns I've ever run. Good luck with your venture!

Michael Curtis said...

I done similar games in the past and Leiber remains one of the foremost influences on me when it comes to fantasy in many regards.

Running an intimate side campaign that focuses more on social interaction and cunning would help scratch the itch that the sprawling, combat-heavy campaign Watchfires & Thrones is. I'll think this over for a bit, see if I think I could handle both, and test the waters a bit. If it seems feasible, I may just have to take the plunge.

5stonegames said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
5stonegames said...

The best D&D campaign I ever ran was "everyone is a thief" I allowed humans to multi class and then cut them loose. It was a wonderful game with great player immersion. That type of game is highly recommended.

Unknown said...

I've recently been rereading my Leiber as well. While I'm having a blast rith my PbEM Lankhmar game, the urge to run face-to-face is overwhelming. We spent two years in Lankhmar in highschool and college and I still regard that that as one of the highligts if my gaming life.